Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Biggest Love of All

Love.
There are candy hearts 
and teddy bears,
cards and books 
filling the shelves.
TV commercials 
and billboard signs,
all telling you to 
buy 
that someone special 
something special.

I love holidays.  I've said that before, and telling those we love how dear to us they are is something we should do and go ahead and celebrate this day of love with them. But the thing is, in all of this commercialized love, what about the love we have for our children?  I think that love is the biggest love of all. 

Think about it.  We love our kids before they are born.  As mothers we stress about what we are putting in our bodies while carrying this new precious life.  We fall in love with that baby and are glowing when we feel that first flutter.  We know, without a doubt, that we will love our kids no matter what.  As parents all we want for our kids is for them to be happy and healthy.  

So with all of that, this Valentine's Day I want to give you a couple books that aren't just for today, but every day to celebrate and tell our little ones how much we love them, everyday!

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
Written by Jane Yolen
Illustrated by Mark Teague

If you are familiar with Jane Yolen's How Do Dinosaurs Books this one does read a bit different, but it does perfectly depict many things children do on a daily bases and how we still love them.  Instead of asking questions of "Does a dinosaur throw a fit?" in this book Jane is writing in "You" so it reads "You made such a mess!"  
I love that all of the situations in the book are ones we deal with as parents.  Our kids are the dinosaurs in the book.  They are sour at times and then they do something so sweet it melts our hearts.  It doesn't matter if they had a tantrum in the store and you felt like your just lost your sanity and everyone was starting, that moment will pass and the next moment when everyone has cooled off they crawl into your lap and give you a hug and all you know you love them no matter what.  Children are still learning how to control their impulses, and emotions, which is hard to do.  Think of how often we yell in the moment when we are upset.  Mark Teague does a wonderful job putting those emotions in the faces of the illustrations.  The mom in the parking lot telling the dinosaur to stop dragging his feet and get over here.  He captured that mom face we all make.  I stopped reading and said "That's me!  That's the face I make at you!"  Which made us all laugh.  The illustrations in this series is always fun because the dinosaur is in the place of the child and you have this huge creature inside a house or car and they make you laugh. 

I used this book as my inspiration for my daughter's card and told her:


LOVE from The Very Hungry Caterpillar
by Eric Carle
 I love the idea of this book coming from The Very Hungry Caterpillar and telling your child how much they mean to you.  It's an adorable fun book to curl up and read.  It doesn't have to just be on the day the calendar tells you to tell other people you love them, this is something your kids should hear all the time.  I love the classic Eric Carle illustrations.

How Many Kisses Do You Want Tonight?
Written by Varsha Bajaj
Illustrated by Ivan Bates


This has been my youngest daughter's favorite book for over a week now.  She loves the question of "How many kisses do you want tonight?" and all the animals in the book, and that in the end she gets covered in mommy kisses.
The book concept is cute, each baby animal is getting tucked into bed and they say how many kisses they want.  I love the counting then when you reach 10 I love the surprise that that's not where the book ends.
Varsha has done a sweet job of rhyming, counting, and giving us a tour of this farm as everyone says good night.
This is now one of my favorite bedtime books because it allows your child to snuggle up with you and think of how many kisses they want.  They might say "none, I want two hugs" and this is teaching them that they can say what they want to receive for affection.

Since my youngest loves this book I used it for her Valentine and did the math of how many kisses she'd get if I was to give her a kiss for every day I loved her.




Remember everyday is the day to tell your loved ones you love them.  Tell them why you love them too. If you are looking for a book to help express that love you have for your kids then I hope I gave you a few titles to read with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biggest Love of All

Love. There are candy hearts  and teddy bears, cards and books  filling the shelves. TV commercials  and billboard signs, all...