Saturday, February 17, 2018

I Love You More Than Rainbows

My kids love holidays...all occasions to celebrate anything.  So with Valentine's Day this week they read and reviewed I Love You More Than Rainbows by Susan E. Crites.  It's not necessarily a Valentine's Day book but it does talk about loving people more than objects and makes a great point.

Before I go into my review let me give you the details:

                                           Written by: Susan E. Crites
                                           Illustrated by Mark and Rosemary Jarman
                                           Published in Nashville, Tennessee by Tommy Nelson Jan 2008
                                           Copywrite: 2007
                                           Format: board book (link above), also available in hardcover

This is another great used book find that I picked up when my youngest daughter was 2 because it was a colorful board book and has been well read in our house.  On Amazon it says this book is for children aged 5-6 but again I want to argue with this.  I started reading this to my 2 year old daughter and it was immediately a favorite that she'd ask for over and over again.  We'd cuddle up on the couch and I'd read aloud how much I loved her.  It was such a sweet bonding time we had together.  I would say get it for your babies and enjoy it for many years, when they learn to read they can read it to you telling you they love you more than all their favorite things.

I love the message that Susan E. Crites sends to children in this book.  We can like and enjoy many experiences but we love each other more than that.  To take a couple quotes from her book:
"I love you more than a candy store filled with all your favorite treats."
That sends a very clear message to children.  No matter what there is in the world I love you more.
Crites did a wonderful job coming up with so many different things that people say we love, and showing that we love our kids and each other more.
"I love you more than the fun you have when you make lots of noise!"

The illustrations are wonderful throughout the whole book.  Each page transports the readers to a new place, new season, and new adventure that children enjoy doing.

This book can be used for any holiday that you talk about loving someone else, it would make a great lesson for libraries, preschool through first grade.  Valentine's day you can talk about friendship being more important than favorite food, toys, or activities and how we love our friends more and what we love to do with our friends.  It would also work for Mother's and Father's Day as well.  Here are some examples:





To make these they can be as simple as you need just using construction paper and writing the note, or to give more of a gift attach a favorite candy bar, or cookies in a jar to make together.  Use your imagination and create something special.


The lesson learned from this book is so valuable.  I reference the book all the time, when the kids are fighting over who ate the last (in today's case) mint, or used special markers or stickers.  These are big deals in our house.  I have to sit each child down and explain how the object that is gone is only a thing and can be replaced, the important thing is that they love each other more than anything, and that I love them even more.

The Bottom Line: A Valuable Lesson and Wonderful Book
The Illustrations: are fun, vibrant, attention grabbing, and aid the story
The Story Line: is easy, fun, and entertaining to read

Make sure you tell the ones you love how much you love them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biggest Love of All

Love. There are candy hearts  and teddy bears, cards and books  filling the shelves. TV commercials  and billboard signs, all...